Saturday, 2 June 2007

Playing Tag

I HAVE been tagged. Twice. I'm such a blog ignoramus that I had to do a Google search to find out what this meant. Wikipedia tells me it's a bit like a game of tag. Someone writes a list (e.g. Five Things You Love About Posh and Becks) and then tags some more people to write their list. I'm honoured and am in the process of thinking about what to write. I'll do it soon.
This tag business got me thinking about childhood games.
I lived on a farm in the middle of nowhere as a child and went to the village school where our pleasures were simple - putting teachers in wicker men and burning them alive, running around forests with stags' antlers on our head and sacrificing the runt of the litter (he was called Mervyn) to the goddess of the moon. The usual innocent pagan rituals.
One game was called "freeze" where everyone would leap and dance about until the "it" child yelled: "Freeze!", like some American cop, at the top of its little lungs and everyone would have to freeze in the position they were in. The first one to move was the next "it". My friends and I one day persuaded Mervyn (before he was sacrificed, obviously) that you also had to close your eyes when you froze. He was the one who smelled of pee. Why does every junior class have a child who smells of pee? Mervyn froze in a fairly stable position and we horrid, horrid children - yes, you've guessed it - crept away leaving him frozen in his urine-infused aura.
We played playground games like blindman's bluff and hopscotch. It was all a far cry of what goes on in today's playgrounds where - if you read the tabloids - they play games like Spot the Drug Dealer (he's the 12-year-old with the sunglasses and bulging pockets), Mug The Old Lady, Catwalk Queen (you're not allowed to play unless you're a Size Zero-Zero), Hide and Seek (hide from the child who's forgotten to take his Ritalin) and Reality TV Star (you're not allowed to play unless you have an air of desperation and an IQ below 80).
But each generation faces its own dangers. When we went to birthday parties there were games like musical chairs, pin the tail on the donkey and pass the parcel - except when the kids came to my house. My mother couldn't be bothered with all that rubbish and would send us out to play.
A health and safety inspector would have had a fit as we climbed over the farmyard machinery with its spikes and blades honed to razor sharpness, clambered to the top of precarious piles of straw bales and made dens in animal pens that no doubt harboured virulent strains of e-coli, salmonella and brucellosis. I'll say one thing for my mother, though, she might have subjected us to the risk of amputation, suffocation and respiratory failure but she did produce a very fine birthday tea.
All that talk of birthday parties has made me hanker after some party food. I'm off to make some jelly and custard and tiny sausage rolls the size of Mick Jagger's todger (very small, according to ex-super model Janice Dickinson).


11 comments:

The thinker said...

You've been tagged have you - I've heard the term but not sure how you do it. Are you not going to give us a hint as to who has tagged you??

Mopsa said...

And there was I thinking ole rubber lips couldn't be anything other than the perfect pleasurer. Mind you, not sure where he'd keep it in those tighter than tight pipecleaner trousers.

whyioughtta said...

Mervyn had it coming.

We didn't have Pee-Smell Boy, but we did have Injury-Prone Boy. He once fell out of his desk (by which I mean there was a loud noise and we all looked up and he was lying on the ground under his desk) for absolutely no reason. I wonder if gravity still hates him?

Ironically, his name was Melvyn. Really!

Fat Sparrow said...

"Why does every junior class have a child who smells of pee?"

I will see you your pee-boy and raise you a fart-boy, as we had both. The fart boy also picked and ate his own boogers, adding to the air of general grossness about him. Oh, and his first name was "Ariel," so he was pretty much doomed, socially.

"and tiny sausage rolls the size of Mick Jagger's todger (very small, according to ex-super model Janice Dickinson)"

I believe he is one of those men where the size of the bank roll makes up for the size of the sausage roll, at least in the judgement of some women.

Gorilla Bananas said...

My mother couldn't be bothered with all that rubbish and would send us out to play.

Heh heh! That's what I call a no-nonsense woman. Fat Sparrow, don't forget Mick's big lips and long, long tongue.

Pig in the Kitchen said...

oh poor Mervyn, i felt bad for him, but I also sniggered. I think i feel more bad than sniggery!
Tag is exhausting, I got done yesterday...glad that's over with.
Pigx

Mike said...

My parents used to have a static caravan and the whole site was surrounded by dense woodland. I and a group of about 30 other boys and girls used to spend our weekends climbing giant trees, building treehouses and damning streams. They are some of my greatest childhood memories. I wonder what the next generation's greatest childhood memories will be of? Playing Tomb Raider 3 on a sunday afternoon in front of their TV perhaps?

Around My Kitchen Table said...

Mr Thinker: Ooo, it could be YOU next. I'd be quite interested in finding out eight random facts about you. For details see my next posting.

Mopsa: He doesn't do much for me, I must say. I prefer my men much chunkier!

Youdefinitelyoutta: We never had bullying, as such, when I was at school but I really wish I'd been kinder to some of my less fortunate classmates. I'm sure I would have laughed at Injury-Prone Boy when really he needed picking up and dusting down!

Fat Sparrow: Oh, you've just put me off my tea - and that takes some doing I can tell you! What ever happened to booger-eating Fart Boy? He's probably an MP.

Mr Bananas: You are a disgrace... which is probably why you have a harem of women hanging on your every word.

Ms Pig: Children are so cruel, aren't they? In mitigation, we were never truly horrible to Pee Boy ... just gave him a wide berth.

Mike: I hope you did a risk assessment before climbing those trees!

Akelamalu said...

I remember all those childhood games too.

PS I like those tiny sausage rolls! :)

文章 said...

AV,無碼,a片免費看,自拍貼圖,伊莉,微風論壇,成人聊天室,成人電影,成人文學,成人貼圖區,成人網站,一葉情貼圖片區,色情漫畫,言情小說,情色論壇,臺灣情色網,色情影片,色情,成人影城,080視訊聊天室,a片,A漫,h漫,麗的色遊戲,同志色教館,AV女優,SEX,咆哮小老鼠,85cc免費影片,正妹牆,ut聊天室,豆豆聊天室,聊天室,情色小說,aio,成人,微風成人,做愛,成人貼圖,18成人,嘟嘟成人網,aio交友愛情館,情色文學,色情小說,色情網站,情色,A片下載,嘟嘟情人色網,成人影片,成人圖片,成人文章,成人小說,成人漫畫,視訊聊天室,性愛,自拍,情色論壇,性感影片,正妹

日月神教-任我行 said...

走光,色遊戲,情色自拍,kk俱樂部,好玩遊戲,免費遊戲,貼圖區,好玩遊戲區,中部人聊天室,情色視訊聊天室,聊天室ut,成人遊戲,免費成人影片,成人光碟,情色遊戲,情色a片,情色網,性愛自拍,美女寫真,亂倫,戀愛ING,免費視訊聊天,視訊聊天,成人短片,美女交友,美女遊戲,18禁,三級片,自拍,後宮電影院,85cc,免費影片,線上遊戲,色情遊戲,日本a片,美女,成人圖片區,avdvd,色情遊戲,情色貼圖,女優,偷拍,情色視訊,愛情小說,85cc成人片,成人貼圖站,成人論壇,080聊天室,080苗栗人聊天室,免費a片,視訊美女,視訊做愛,免費視訊,伊莉討論區,sogo論壇,台灣論壇,plus論壇,維克斯論壇,聊天室