Sunday, 2 December 2007

Vanity Mirror


ANOTHER of those daft surveys came out on Wednesday. It seems that some women admit to looking in a mirror up to 71 times a day.

71 times a day? That's about once every 15 minutes during their waking hours- a little bit excessive, surely, even for a narcissistic 20-something whoseone aim in life is to be the next Paris Hilton.

I was trying to work out how many times a day I personally look in themirror. I have a quick look through bleary eyes as I visit the bathroom first thing in the morning and quickly turn away. Who's replaced that youthful go-getter with that puffy-faced barely conscious old lady - the one with bags under her eyes big enough to pack Elton John's complete summer wardrobe?

Later there's a more prolonged look as I trowel on some make-up, repoint my features and try to flatten my hair with a bristle brush and spit. Then there's a third look as I go out the door to work - a quick check thatI haven't got my skirt tucked into my knickers or haven't inadvertently put on a jacket that the moulting cat has slept on all night.

After that, there's the occasional glance as I pass a mirror at work. But then, I am a woman of a certain age who long ago stopped worrying about whether my blusher was the right shade for the season. I don’t fret that there might be a hair out of place in my cutting-edge crop, I just hope my roots don’t make me look like a roadkill badger.
I suppose if I were a Spice girl or a trophy wife, looking in the mirror might be more important. After all, Posh wouldn't want a picture of her with spinach in her teeth splashed all over the tabloids. I could just see the headline, POSH SPICE EATS! And Trophy Wife needs to keep her looks up to scratch to stop Rich Husband looking for a shinier, newer trophy.
The survey also revealed that men were almost as image-conscious as the women. They look in the mirror up to 66 times a day.
This I can believe.
In my experience men are much more vain than women – they are just more sly about it. It’s more of a quick suck in of the beer belly as a girl with legs right up to her armpits walks by. Or they spend hours in the shower where, of course, they are not buffing and puffing up their muscles and smothering manly-smelling products onto their bodies but are planning the day and coming up with “all their best ideas” – yes, you know who you are.
There was a poll with this (British) survey and it seems Liverpool has the vainest women with 71 looks in the mirror a day. London women came in second, followed by Newcastle, Manchester, Edinburgh, Cardiff, Leeds, Birmingham and Belfast. Bottom (or top, depending on which way you look at it) was Bristol – nearest to where I live - where women admitted looking in the mirror just eight times a day.

I can’t quite make up my mind whether that makes West Country women down-to-earth and lacking in vanity or whether we all look like scruffy ragbags.

Still, it’s difficult to put on lipstick while you’re crunching a carrot.

25 comments:

Gorilla Bananas said...

It's an odd thing to keep a tally on, isn't it? Looking at a mirror is pretty boring unless you're doing an action pose, like a karate chop or a flying kick. I prefer to count the number of times I suck my teeth.

laurie said...

you're funny. (so is the gorilla.)

i don't think that i looked at a mirror more than 10 times a day even when i was in my prime.

Mopsa said...

I thought men took an age in the shower because they were indulging in a bit of private pleasure. I suspect they look in the mirror simultaneously once a second and that would give you most of their tally.

Akelamalu said...

I daren't look in the mirror theses days, it's too scary!

Nice to see you back I missed your funny posts. :)

BetteJo said...

Roadkill badger - lol!!

Teuchter said...

Am also laughing at the term Roadkill Badger.

I've had to force myself to stop looking at the mirror in the study, in which I can see myself if I look sideways while typing, because my Grandmother keeps looking back - and she doesn't look very pleased.

It's fab to see you back blogging again - we've missed you.

Miss Understood said...

I look in the mirror all the time when I'm lying in bed, seeing as it's on the ceiling.

No...seriously....I was kidding. I can't believe it's even possible to do it that many times.

Jo said...

How often I look in the mirror is directly proportionate to how long I spent putting make up on, how many hours of sleep I've got and my skin:spot ratio as counted in the morning.

belle said...

Seventy-one times in a day??? Good lord, how is that possible? Personally, I avoid mirrors whenever I can, just not made of stuff stern enough to cope with my reflection ...

Flowerpot said...

I think I probably look in the mirror abotu once a day. And Himself does once - when he brushes his hair in the morning. Just as well you can't see us...

Mary Alice said...

71 times? Good God. I don't think so. I'm lucky if I get to look at myself five times a day. Who are these women that can look at themselves 71 times a day -are they independently wealthy with a full time staff?

Pig in the Kitchen said...

I make it 3. Once - like you - first thing in the morning. Once at some point in the day - to see how fat i'm looking. And once at night as i clean my teeth, look at my Elton John Eye Bags (so this season dahling) and shuffle off to bed.

elizabethm said...

I think it's about four - once after the shower while fighting with a comb and wet hair, once after breakfast to put on mascara (without which I am unlikely to go out so am vain really), another tidy up about tea time and again before going to bed to clean teeth and face.
71 is astonishing.

The Little Cheese said...

I only enjoy looking in the mirror before I put my contacts in so I can massage my ego that I look like Charlize Theron as opposed to the reality - Charlie Brown.

lady thinker said...

I look in the mirror once a day just to brush my hair. the rest of the time i glance at reflection in shop window just to check I'm upright with shoulders back between the old age, cleaning, cooking and blogging I'm a bit hunched and round shouldered nowadays.

Omega Mum said...

It's one of those sad figures, isn't it? Like knowing how many books you own (please don't tell me you've posted about this and know to the last vintage Penguin or I'll be mortified). And do passing looks count (I don't think I want to know this, either).

Mid-lifer said...

My daughter looks about 100 times a day and it baffles me.

I've never been a mirror person - even though I'm not from the West country. I have about 2 looks a day i reckon - if that. It scares me what I see.

Akelamalu said...

I know you've not posted for a while but I just popped over to wish you and your family a Very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, may they be everything you're hoping for.

Much Love and Reiki Blessings
Akelamalu
x

Mopsa said...

All best wishes for 2008.

Akelamalu said...

Where are you?

Wishing you A HAPPY NEW YEAR and everything that's good x

Beki said...

I look in the mirror quite a lot....it's good to have a laugh ;o)

Happy new year

CresceNet said...

Gostei muito desse post e seu blog é muito interessante, vou passar por aqui sempre =) Depois dá uma passada lá no meu site, que é sobre o CresceNet, espero que goste. O endereço dele é http://www.provedorcrescenet.com . Um abraço.

barb michelen said...

Hello I just entered before I have to leave to the airport, it's been very nice to meet you, if you want here is the site I told you about where I type some stuff and make good money (I work from home): here it is

Sweet Irene said...

I stop by every day to see if there is a new post, but no, you have not written for a while. I hope everything is fine at your end and that the new year started of well for you.

I hope to see you here again soon.

Teuchter said...

I miss you.
Hope life is treating you well.