Sunday, 26 October 2014

Spelling It Out

Around My Kitchen Table








PEOPLE think I'm a grammar and spelling Nazi, but I'm not. I couldn't care less if you don't know the difference between your and you're or its and it's - unless it's (not its) your (not you're) job to know.

The dearly beloved is a cabinet-maker. He's not brilliant at spelling but then, I couldn't knock up a beautiful Welsh dresser if you gave me all the state-of-the-art tools in the world and a year to finish it. Each to his own.

However… if you're (not your) a person who makes their (not there) living with the written word then you should be able to spell the damn word. It's a part of the skill-set. I don't expect a brain surgeon to tell me they are  darn good at their job, well, apart from the slight matter of suffering from Parkinson's.

I don't want my bankers to be innumerate, my roofer to be afraid of heights or my gardener to be allergic to plants.

This principle doesn't seem to hold true in the world of the media. I can forgive the odd error - it might just be a typo and we all make mistakes when we're rushed or tired. But some of the media is littered with ungrammatical, badly spelled articles and postings. Even the Daily Mail website was wittering on about Jada Pinkett Smith getting a "desert" thrown in her face on a TV show. Which desert would that be; the Sahara, the Gobi, the Kalahari?

Don't even get me started on the BBC. Their captions are so littered with errors that I spend half my time screaming at the TV while the dearly beloved searches frantically for his ear plugs.

So what has brought on this rant? There is, as I write, someone on the Linkedin website who is advertising their services as an EDITER. I go to the foot of our stairs.


Bookmark and Share

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your very good Pat (hee hee) x

Gorilla Bananas said...

People who call you a grammar Nazi are probably imagining you in a Nazi uniform giving them a good whipping. Take it as a compliment.